Breastfeeding offers many benefits for both mother and baby.A healthy baby can benefit from breast milk, infant formula, or a combination of the two. Breast milk is extremely nutritious and contains carbohydrates, proteins, and fats essential for a baby’s health. Breastfeeding, apart from ensuring thatbabies get proper nutrition, can help mothers recover from pregnancy and delivery.
The benefits of breastfeeding are as follows:
- It can promote bonding between mother and baby.
- It is natural and specially made for your baby.
- It is safe for your baby and easily digested.
- It contains all the minerals and nutrients that your baby needs for the first six months of life. Together with other foods, it is very good for the next six months or more as well.
- It is always ready when your baby needs it.
- Breast milk also contains antibodies that help prevent infections and allergies. Your baby will be less likely to get infections, allergies, and many other diseases.
- Breastfeeding releases hormones, which cause the uterus to shrink after delivery and decreases bleeding. It helps your body return to normal more quickly after the birth.
- Mothers who breastfeed typically have an easier time losing weight after pregnancy.
- It does not cost anything and does not take time to prepare.
If a mother does decide to breastfeed her children, she should understand that breastfeeding is a major responsibility that requires her to maintain excellent nutrition and health. Women who breastfeed should eat well-balanced, nutritious meals.